grub-devel

Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.

From: Paul Elliott
Subject: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:08:05 -0600

I am having this problem with grub1 and I wonder if grub2
solves it.

The problem is at the time I setup the grub system I do
not know what device my usbstick will be on.

To be explicit I am writting menu.lst for a grub
booter on a usbstick and I do not know what to
put for X in the following statement:

root (hdX,0)

The usb stick will be used on many different computers
with different number of hard drives. Therefore X
actually varries.

Is there a solution for this in grub2? That is in writting
the equivalent of menu.lst for grub2, is there a way to
specify "the device that my menu.lst and my stage files
are on" without knowing in advance where that will be?

If so, how would one do this in grub2?

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
address@hidden                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J