grub-devel

Re: Questions for writing manpages

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Questions for writing manpages
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:43:03 -0500

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 23:13 +0100, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions for the writing the documentation[1].
>
> ** How to use "If [ $x=foo ] Then Else fi" statement ?
>
> I've successfully used :
>  if [ A=B ] ; then echo "foo" ; else echo "bar" ; fi"
>
> But I cannot use variables, with either :
>  if [ $i=B ] ; then echo "foo" ; else echo "bar" ; fi"
>  if [ X$i=XB ] ; then echo "foo" ; else echo "bar" ; fi"

If we don't care about UNIX from the seventies, this should work fine:

if [ "$x" = "$y" ]; then echo "foo"; else echo "bar"; fi

I guess you don't assign the variables correctly.  Please make sure you
don't use spaces around "=" in assignments, but use them in comparisons.

You can replace echo "foo" with echo "foo$i." to see the value of $i in
the same expression.

> ** How would you define the "rescue" mode ? In what situation
> can it be useful to the user ?

I think the idea was to move most interactivity to a separate module
called normal.  If that module is not available, the internal "rescue"
mode is used to make it possible to load modules.  I don't know how
practical it is.

> ** Does the "ofconsole" console supports unicode ?

No.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin