grub-devel

Re: booting kernel of NetBSD (Re: UFS (FFS) support seems broken in grub

From: walt
Subject: Re: booting kernel of NetBSD (Re: UFS (FFS) support seems broken in grub2)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:19:36 -0800

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 18:24 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 11:01:49PM +0800, Bean wrote:
> > this is the patch, problems found:
> >
> > 1, the mbi structure is not initialized to all zeros, this means some
> > important member, like mods_count, will contain trash.
> > 2, the entry point in the header is virtual address, we need to
> > translate it to physical address.
> >
> >     * loader/i386/pc/multiboot.c (grub_multiboot_load_elf32): Get physical
> >     address of entry.
> >     (grub_multiboot_load_elf64): Likewise.
> >     (grub_multiboot): Initialize mbi structure.
>
> Wow, you're inexhaustible :-)

Indeed!  Unfortunately I still get the same free magic is broken :o(
As an experiment, I g-zipped the kernel and now grub2 just reboots
without printing anything when I do multiboot /netbsd.gz.  (The same
kernel still boots normally with legacy grub.)

> Btw it won't apply to CVS head; maybe it was scrambled when sending it?

I had to use the -l flag to get it to apply, but it did apply okay.