grub-devel

Re: UFS (FFS) support seems broken in grub2

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: UFS (FFS) support seems broken in grub2
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:33:07 +0100

walt <address@hidden> writes:

> Bean wrote:
>>> Yes, thanks!  I had to use the -l flag before patch would use it,
>>> and even then the last hunk needed increased fuzz.
>>>
>>> Are you going to commit it today?
>>
>> thanks for the testing, if you have ufs2, please check it as well...
>
> I see you have already commited, thank you!  I did test both UFS1/2
> and both work nicely.  I can list and cat any files on a UFS fs now.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know how to boot any of the BSD kernels with
> grub2 :o(

I am not sure about BSD, one way is to load the BSD loader.  But a
more direct approach (as in loading the BSD kernel) would be nice.  Do
you want to work on this?

> I recompiled my NetBSD kernel with the MULTIBOOT option enabled, but
> I still get a 'magic broken' error when doing 'multiboot /netbsd'.

Can it be loaded from GRUB Legacy using its multiboot capabilities?

> On FreeBSD I use grub0.95 to load /boot/loader as 'the kernel' and
> everything just works.  Using grub2, I can't tell exactly what I am
> supposed to use, e.g. insmod, module, or [whatever].  There is no
> 'kernel' command any more, right?

No.  I think there is no loader yet for BSD.

> I can use 'linux' to boot linux with no problems, which is the easy
> part.
>
> I can use chainload on any BSD as long as the boot record is installed
> properly (which is a bit tricky and dangerous for the BSD newbie).
>
> Any hints would be most welcome, and thanks again.

Do you want to work on a loader for BSD?  That would be the ideal
solution and a nice opportunity for you to learn :-)

--
Marco