grub-devel

menu's "default=saved" is need for hibernation on multi-os systems.

From: Franklin PIAT
Subject: menu's "default=saved" is need for hibernation on multi-os systems.
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:54:12 +0100

Hello,

Grub2 doesn't seems to have a feature similar to grub1 "default=saved"
in menu.lst, does it ?
On a multiboot system, it's important to have it  :

In my situation, Xen is first listed in the menu, but I usually boot
plain kernel, which can Hibernate. After reboot, The first system is
rebooted by default, which can cause lose of data.
The problem would also occur if a user had two OS, and both mount a
given partition. Hibernating the second OS, then booting the first could
cause data loss too.

Having default=saved drastically simplifies the situation : Before
choosing another OS in the menu, one has to remember if the computer was
hibernated last time. If in doubt let grub boot the previous OS.

A more cleaver mechanism would even be better...
- Like getting the OS to put a flag when booted, then remove it on
shutdown.
- Or actually each OS' hibernation status (ouch!)

Franklin