grub-devel

Re: grub disk-image builder.

From: Franklin PIAT
Subject: Re: grub disk-image builder.
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:21:18 +0100

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 23:26 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:33:24PM +0100, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For my personal needs, i've written a script to build floppy or
> > hard-disk images.
> >
> > It's very similar to mkgrub-rescue.sh (and slightly based on it),
> > except the images are formatted. Therefore it's possible to put
> > a grub.cfg and splash images on it.
>
> It's already possible to put arbitrary files in grub-mkrescue.  Is that
> what you needed?
>
> If you find that something is missing in grub-mkrescue, I think it's better
> to get it integrated in the same script rather than providing a collection
> of utilities.
I've just had a look at yesterday's commit, which introduces --overlay.
great ! (Debian's Unstable is a few day behind cvs)

Since I wanted to test splashscreen, I needed to put unicode.pff
(1480KiB) + a tga image (1200KiB uncompressed)... That's why i came up
with hard disk images.

But now, with RLE'd TGA, JPEG and PNG, 2.88MiB floppy should do in most
case (I haven't tested it).

I've attached a patch for "--image-size" option. (it's GPL)

The one feature that one could miss, is the ability to mount and modify
the image, to easily customize rescue's grub.cfg, from a random
Operating system that understand fat. -- I don't need that feature.

Franklin