grub-devel

Re: Wrong prefix

From: Mathias Hällman
Subject: Re: Wrong prefix
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:52:47 +0100

device.map does not get overwritten, no. And nothing changes when I edit it.
One thing I discovered when confirming this though, is that the
devices seem to jump around depending on what hdd I've selected to
boot from in bios.

grub-mkdevicemap takes my 4 sata's as (hd0-3) and my 1 ide as (hd4).
When I boot, the ide always seem to be (hd0), then the 4 sata's as
(hd1-4). (this is how I edited my device.map)
I've always wanted to boot from my ide (hd0), and then load linux from
the boot partition on my first sata. (hd1) Though now when I tried to
boot from some other sata instead, this one and my ide becomes (hd1)
and (hd0) in some order, making my first sata with the boot partition
appear at (hd2), also wrecking my grub.cfg..
I hope this didn't become too confusing.. Perhaps this info is of some
value though.