grub-devel

Re: How to return control to GRUB

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: How to return control to GRUB
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:06:25 +0100

Fabian Greffrath <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I take care of the Debian package 'grub-invaders'. This is a multiboot
> compliant kernel-game that resembles Space Invaders, but I guess you
> knew that already.
>
> One thing that annoys me about the game is, that you cannot return to
> the GRUB menu. The only chance to leave the game is rebooting the
> machine.

[...]

Officially, this is not possible, if you want to do something like
"return to GRUB".  Before a multiboot kernel is started, the state of
GRUB 2 is destroyed.

One solution might be switching back to real-mode, making sure the
computer is in a normal state (graphics, IRQs, memory, hardware, etc).
In that case you can just load GRUB 2 from disk and jump to it.

An alternative solution is, if the license for the game is GPLv3,
making it a GRUB 2 module ;-)

--
Marco