grub-devel

(still ?) root on LVM problems

From: Jean-Christophe Haessig
Subject: (still ?) root on LVM problems
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:01:38 +0100

Hi,

I had a peek at the ML lately and saw a few messages reporting some
success in using GRUB2 as a bootloader in a root-on-lvm setup.

I decided to give it a try, so I grabbed it from CVS, but unfortunately
it didn't work, just as in my previous tries :(

I can't get why but grub-setup insists on overwriting some important
blocks at the beginning of the disk, thus destroying the lvm metadata.
Hopefully, there was no harm, I'm used to it so I had backups.

Still, I'd like to understand why it doesn't work on my setup… Does
(as I understand) root-on-lvm mean everything-on-lvm including /boot ?
Could someone help me find what I do wrong ?

Thanks,
JC

--
AVIS : Falsifier le contenu et usurper l'identité des auteurs des courriers
électroniques étant simplissime, j'exhorte mes correspondants à utiliser un