grub-devel

Problems with GRUB + LVM + RAID-6 in Fedora Core 8

From: roger p
Subject: Problems with GRUB + LVM + RAID-6 in Fedora Core 8
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:40:15 +0100

I have installed Fedora Core 8 in a machine with 4 disks each 200 GBytes; sda,
sdb, sdc, sdd

the partitioning is the following:

md0: /boot     (Raid-0 (2 disks + 2 spare disks))
md1: /            (RAID-6, (4 disks) + LVM)
- the LVM has logical volumes:
  - / for the linux (00)
  - /home the rest (02)
  - swap (01)

When I now start the server it stops without any GRUB menu coming up, the error
message "GRUB hard disk error" is displayed.

When I start through the linux rescue it works fine. It reads the hard disk and
no problem when I do the chroot /mnt/sysimage

What is the problem? It seems that the hard disk ctructure can not be read by
GRUB.

What to do?

CK
Spara, redigera och organisera dina foton enkelt med Photo Gallery!
http://get.live.com/photogallery/overview