grub-devel

Re: Testing on PowerMac G4

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Testing on PowerMac G4
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:10:03 -0500

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 21:37 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> If you want to confirm that it's grub-mkimage's fault, you can try booting
> kernel.elf directly.  In theory it should give you a rescue prompt.

That's what it does.  And that's what we have been discussing closer to
the bottom :-)

> > In fact, the image doesn't even survive
> > simple objcopy intact.  "objcopy grubof.modules grubof.modules1"
> > produces a file 208 bytes long.
>
> What is grubof.modules ?  I never heard of it.

That's the suggested name for the grub-mkimage output on PowerPC,
according to http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC

Yes, it's long and misleading.  Maybe it should be called grub.elf or
something.  I'm usually good at inventing new names, but I have no good
ideas this time :-)

> Wait, that would be EACCES in Linux errno codes.  In GRUB, grub_errno
> 13 means GRUB_ERR_UNKNOWN_DEVICE (at the time of writing; there isn't a
> stable ABI for this afaik).

Thanks, that explains something!

> If grub_errno was set you should've seen an error message somewhere.  It
> seems there's something wrong in our error handling. :-/

I agree.

> I would really check the GRUB_IEEE1275_FLAG_NO_PARTITION_0 issue.  It was just
> a guess, but it smells really badly :-)

I'll have a look.

--
Regards,