grub-devel

Re: Switching to git?

From: Otavio Salvador
Subject: Re: Switching to git?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:39:17 -0200

Jeroen Dekkers <address@hidden> writes:

> At Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:28:28 +0100,
> Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 13:05, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> > Personally I don't like bazaar due performance problem. It's really
>> > slow for big projects (it wouldn't be a big problem since GRUB is a
>> > small one) and it changes its data format too ofthen.
>>
>> Hmm, I thought they have fixed the performance issues already? About the
>> data
>> format, I have no idea. jbailey, do you have any comment? ;)
>
> I've used bzr when working on my summer of code project 1.5 years ago
> and didn't have any issues with performance. And this was before they
> did all the performance improvements. Maybe with big source trees like
> Linux it's still too slow, but for GRUB this is really no problem.

I'm not talking about working locally (looks like this is what you've
done) but pulling and pushing changes remotely.

> The changes in data format shouldn't really be any problem in
> practice, because newer versions can still read the older disk format
> and the network protocol doesn't change most of the time.

I think it's. If you want to gain their performance improvements you
_need_ to upgrade. So _all_ people involved will need to have the need
version installed too.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: address@hidden      UIN: 5906116