grub-devel

Re: Conditional Statement in Grub 2

From: Gregg Levine
Subject: Re: Conditional Statement in Grub 2
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 22:00:08 -0500

On Jan 2, 2008 8:11 PM, Antonio Dupont <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I apologize if this is the wrong list, but this is the list I have found
> through my searches.  Please tell me where to go if this is not the proper
> place.
>
> I would like to have grub do a conditional statement similar to this:
>
> if file_name on /dev/cdrom matches file_name on /dev/sda1 (USB device) then
> boot Linux else boot Windows
>
> I've search through the Grub site and see there is some support for scripting,
> but I don't know how developed it is and if it can do what I'm asking. At the
> boot loader stage can it even see the cdrom or USB?
>
> I also saw in the older Grub archives ....
>
> "For scripting support, there are a lot of uses.  For example booting a
> specific OS depending on the time.  Some people requested that.  If
> you look in the pupa-devel archives, you can find the examples Okuji
> gave."
>
> But, I can't find the pupa-devel archives, they seem to be off-line.
>
> I'm using CentOS 5.0 and if I can do it with Grub 0.97 that comes with the
> distro that would be great.  I can also upgrade if needed.
>
> Any comments or direction would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Antonio

Hello!
This is for the GRUB2 development efforts. Ideally you'd want the one
for Grub-Legacy. Oh and if your release of GRUB-0.97 was patched by
the Centos builders in some way we'll be able to advise you of course,
but your advised to bring the matter to them.
--
Gregg C Levine address@hidden
"This signature was once found posting rude