grub-devel

Re: moving ata initialisation to a command

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: moving ata initialisation to a command
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:47:36 +0100

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 01:26:31PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 17:01 +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> > A better solution, IMO, would be changing grub-mkrescue so it doesn't
>> > load all modules.
>>
>> Maybe grub-mkrescue should create a filesystem?  Even FAT should be
>> fine.  This way, it will be possible to load problematic modules from
>> the filesystem.  The only problem would be dependency on filesystem
>> making tools.  Fortunately, mtools is quite common.
>
> I'd prefer to support embedding filesystems in core.img instead.  This
> solves the problem for every situation instead of just PC boot media
> (e.g. LinuxBIOS ELF payload image).

Agreed, I would like to see such feature.  Also for stuff like
diskless boot.

What I had in mind was the following.  We could perhaps make it
possible to add all files using grub-mkimage, not only modules.  When
you add modules, those will be loaded automatically.  All other files
will be ignored.

Another filesystem module has to be written.  It scans over these
files and will make them available.  This can be simple and elegant.
I do not like the idea of adding a diskimage or so.  Are you
interested in working on this?

> Anyway, as long as root privileges aren't made necessary, I'm fine with
> grub-mkrescue creating a filesystem (one saner than FAT, preferably ;-).

Great!  Will you do that? :-)

--
Marco