grub-devel

Re: moving ata initialisation to a command

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: moving ata initialisation to a command
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:01:42 +0100

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to move ata.mod initialisation away from its _init routine and into
> a separate command.  This way it isn't a nuissance when it gets included in
> monolithic builds (such as the ones made by grub-mkrescue) and disables
> biosdisk
> completely.
>
> Does that sound fine?

No.  What if you put ata.mod in core.img?  You would expect your disks
will be detected and that grub.cfg will be loaded immediately.  The
user doesn't want to run a command to enable ata.mod and afterwards
load the grub.cfg manually.

A better solution, IMO, would be changing grub-mkrescue so it doesn't
load all modules.

--
Marco