grub-devel

[bug] include/grub/efi/efi.h (grub_efi_guid): aligned(8) ?

From: Alexandre Boeglin
Subject: [bug] include/grub/efi/efi.h (grub_efi_guid): aligned(8) ?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:01:39 +0100

Hello,

It seems that currently, the grub_efi_guid structure is aligned on a 8 byte
boundary (since the first revision of that file).

>From tests I did, it seems that building a device path with a node
containing a guid, and feeding this device path to the efi
boot_services->load_image function will not work if the structure contains
"padding" bytes due to alignment (in other words, I think that Apple's EFI
does not expect the guid to be 8 byte aligned, and will fail to parse the
device path).

For me, just removing the aligned attribute did the trick, but I guess it's
here for a reason (which I'm affraid I don't know).

Alex