grub-devel

Re: grub2 efi patches

From: Alexandre Boeglin
Subject: Re: grub2 efi patches
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:14:03 +0100

Hello,

Sorry for not replying earlier, I'm currently busy trying to figure out how to
access the Compatibility Support Module, and possibly enable lecagy boot.

Le Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 04:45:43PM +0100, Marco Gerards a écrit :
> Alexandre Boeglin <address@hidden> writes:
> > grub2_efi_grub_prefix.patch uses the grub_prefix variable to set the prefix
> > environment variable, instead of the directory in which grub.efi is. This
> > allows to have grub.efi and the modules in different folders, and the old
> > behaviour should be preserved, if the grub_prefix is an empty string,
>
> How about passing it as an argument to GRUB 2?  I assume EFI can do
> this?  This is what we do on open firmware, IIRC.

Well, this should also work if grub is the main bootloader of your machine,
but I think it would be a bit harder in the case you have grub on a EFI
bootable CD or USB stick (or that would depend on the primary bootloader in
this case). But actually, I don't know this part very well ...

I also still have to clean the chainloader options patch, but here is the
changelog for the others:

2007-11-18  Alexandre Boeglin  <address@hidden>

* normal/arg.c (grub_arg_parse): If one of the args is "--", add remaining
  N args, instead of "--" N times.

* commands/i386/efi/halt.c: New file.

* commands/i386/efi/reboot.c: New file.

* conf/i386-efi.rmk (grub_emu_SOURCES): Replace i386/pc/halt.c and reboot.c by
  i386/efi/halt.c and reboot.c.
  (grub_install_SOURCES): Add halt.mod and reboot.mod.
  (halt_mod_SOURCES): New variable.
  (halt_mod_CFLAGS): Likewise.
  (halt_mod_LDFLAGS): Likewise.
  (reboot_mod_SOURCES): Likewise.
  (reboot_mod_CFLAGS): Likewise.
  (reboot_mod_LDFLAGS): Likewise.

* include/grub/efi/efi.h (grub_reboot): New function declaration.
  (grub_halt): Likewise.

* kern/efi/efi.c (grub_reboot): New function.
  (grub_halt): Likewise.

And I just received the copyright assignment papers yesterday. I will post
them on monday.

Regards,
Alex