grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2 development

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: GRUB 2 development
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:16:35 +0200

Marco Gerards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you all might have noticed, I have been spamming this list like
> crazy the last two days :-)
>
> The problem currently is that, accidently, we lose track of
> outstanding bugs and patches.  It is frustrating to both developers
> and people sending in patches/bugreports.
>
> Hopefully we can start using a bug tracker soon.  There are many that
> are good.  In my opinion the mailinglist and wiki doesn't work for us
> anymore.
>
> If we have a bug tracker, bugs and patches won't be forgotted until we
> actively close them.  This will fix a serious problem in GRUB
> development.  At the moment I am a bit more active.  But I can not
> promise if I can keep being this active...
>
> Many projects use bugzilla.  Perhaps it isn't perfect, but it does
> what I want.  I just do not have the resources to set that up.
> Perhaps someone else knows something better.
>
> I would even prefer using savannah than the current situation.  I hope
> we can figure out a solution real soon.  How about just using savannah
> and add a GRUB2 option there, unless someone comes up with something
> better in a few days/weeks?

I agree on this one. This has been a problem for a long time. And I
think we have had several discussions about this, so far no solution
however.

Problem with savannah is that it really doesn't handle different
releases nicely. And it does not handle patches nicely at all. Bugzilla
is much better on this approach. Though it is huge software to maintain
and needs a server. If we can find maintainer and the server with
necessary bandwidth (which should be small-to-moderate).

Oh... did I mention that bugzilla can be nicely combined with Mylyn :) ?
http://www.eclipse.org/mylyn/