grub-devel

Re: Outline menu

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Outline menu
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:56:33 +0200

Markus Elfring wrote:
> I suggest to add the capability to present the menu as an outline.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline#Sample_alphanumeric_outline
>
> Example boot menu:
> A) Windows:
> - XP
> - Vista
>
> B) Linux:
> - Knoppix
> - Debian
>   * Etch
> - Red Hat
>   * Fedora
> - openSUSE
>   * 10.2 release
>   * 10.3 debug
> - Ubuntu
>   * Gutsy Gibbon
> - Xen
> - Real-time
>
> How do you think about such a hierarchical view for the selection of a great
> variety of bootable systems?

I don't think it is a big issue, there just needs to be indentation
settings for different levels and some logic to handle it. In "GRUB CSS"
this could be something like:

menuitem {
   left: 0px;
}

menuitem indent1 {
   left: 10px;
}

meunitem indent2 {
   left: 20px;
}

And then add something like:
set menumode=outline
set menumode=hierarchical (or normal, default)

So end result would be something like this:

Windows (menuitem indent0 odd)
-- XP (menuitem indent1 even)
Linux (menuitem indent0 odd)
-- openSUSE (menuitem indent1 even)