grub-devel

Re: status of VGA terminal

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: status of VGA terminal
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:37:16 +0300

Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows what's the status of vga.c ?  It's currently disabled in the
> build
> system.  I reenabled and got it to build again (see attached patch), but it
> just displays garbage.
>
> Is it intended to be integrated with gfxterm?

If you want to make video driver for it then and keep it up-to-date,
otherwise no. Personally I have no intention to work on it. It displays
garbage because font system has changed... and will be changed again in
future once there is vector font support. For that I think font blitter
goes away and new bitmap blitter (or old one) is used.

Question how to scale to different display sizes hasn't been solved
either... This is the main reason for vector fonts, scaling bitmap fonts
just gets really ugly.