grub-devel

GRUB on two mbrs

From: John Pierce
Subject: GRUB on two mbrs
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:30:03 -0500

Hello list member, I have hashed this out with a handful of people on
the fedora list and have had no luck making it work in any
permutation.

I have Fedora 7 installed on sda, it has a /dev/sda1 for /boot and
grub was installed to the mbr.  It boots Fedora fine.

I have Mandriva 2008 installed on sdb, it has a /dev/sdb1 for /boot
and grub was installed on the sdb mbr.

I would like to make an stanza in the fedora menu.lst file that will
pass control to the grub installed on sdb's mbr.

I want to do this so that when mandriva updates the kernel I will not
have to modify the menu.lst in the fedora installation.

Note:  I can boot mandriva from the stanza that I created in the
Fedora 7 menu.lst file, but if mandriva updates the kernel then I have
to modify the stanza.

I have tried almost every permutation of the following:

title Mandriva 2008
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

I have tried it with chainloader, chainloader (hd1,0), chainloader
(hd1,0)+1.  I have tried with root (hd1,0).

I thought I had read somewhere one time that this could be done, but I
cannot find it any where.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at