grub-devel

Re: multiboot code asking for stubs-32.h under x86-64?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: multiboot code asking for stubs-32.h under x86-64?
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 22:45:10 +0200

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 03:15:13PM +0200, Julio Meca Hansen wrote:

> > Why are you compiling GRUB in 64-bit mode then?  It's not supported yet.
> >
> > Doesn't the build system automaticaly ressort to 32-bit build for you?
> >

> You leave me quite 'impressed' in the desillusional way haha but it's
> ok, but try to understand my point of view for a moment...
>
> I have a 64bit capable machine so I would like to have a 64bit system,
> the previous time I built my 64bit system, used grub-0.97 because I
> actually had a 32bit installation in another partition, so it did the
> trick for me, but if I'm going for the *absolute* way I can't have a
> 32bit bootloader but a 64bit one, that's the reason I want to compile
> grub2 for 64bit mode and you have to take into account my toolchain is
> non-multilib (at least that's what suggests the installation method), so
> I cannot produce any kind of 32bit code, but from the console output is
> like I *almost* managed to get it done, just this stubs-32.h
> non-existent reference blew my attempt...
>
> And in the installation instructions I posted... they belong to the CLFS
> Trac, and if the author (Joe Ciccone) stands grub2 can be compiled with
> the given options, at least we can confirm that grub2 actually
> *compiles* in pure 64bit mode, but not cvs grub2, that's what I asked
> what could I do with this error, just that... :(

Most of GRUB 2 compiles (and works) in 64-bit mode.  See grub-emu for
example.

> Isn't really any solution to this?

As I said, if you can't find the reason for this problem, maybe a regression
test can help.  There can be other ways to find it, of course, but that's an
easy one if you don't know where to look.

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)