grub-devel

grub menu not shown by default but source /boot/grub/grub.cfg shows it

From: Venkat Subbiah
Subject: grub menu not shown by default but source /boot/grub/grub.cfg shows it
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:44:01 -0700

I installed grub2(when in comes up it says 1.95). n bootup grub throws me at
the grub prompt instead of showing me the menus. But if I say source
/boot/grub/grub.cfg it shows me the grub menus. Why would it not be showing
this by default. It seems to print something before it thows the brub prompt.
But I can't read that fast :)

I am on ubuntu so I did it by

sudo aptitude install grub2
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda
sudo update-grub
The install looks went thru fine and it generated a /boot/grub/grub.cfg files.

On bootup grub throws me at the grub prompt instead of showing me the menus.
But if I say source /boot/grub/grub.cfg it shows me the grub menus. Why would
it not be showing this by default.

Thx,
Venkat