grub-devel

buggy BIOSes (Re: pretty colors in gfxterm)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: buggy BIOSes (Re: pretty colors in gfxterm)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:47:14 +0200

> Besides that, it is really necessary to check what workarounds for buggy
> BIOSes are missing in GRUB 2. The current bootstrap code on PC is based on
> somewhere around GRUB 0.96, so it is a bit outdated.

I just had a look.  Is there something other than:

2005-03-15  Yoshinori K. Okuji  <address@hidden>

        * stage2/fsys_fat.c (fat_mount): Ignore the 3rd bit of a media
        descriptor, because some BIOSes overwrite this value, according
        to the storage mode (e.g. USB Floppy or USB HDD).

[...]

2005-02-15  Yoshinori K. Okuji  <address@hidden>

        * stage2/builtins.c (install_func): If DEST_DRIVE is a hard
        disk, enable the workaround in Stage 1 by replacing the jmp
        with double nop's.

        * stage1/stage1.h (STAGE1_BOOT_DRIVE_CHECK): New macro.
        (STAGE1_BOOT_DRIVE_MASK): Removed.

        * stage1/stage1.S (boot_drive_check): New label. This implements
        a different workaround for buggy BIOSes which don't pass boot
        drive correctly. This is effective for BIOSes which pass a value
        without the seventh bit (0x80).
        (boot_drive_mask): Removed.

--
Robert Millan