grub-devel

Re: Using GRUB2 for booting from CD

From: Alex Roman
Subject: Re: Using GRUB2 for booting from CD
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:54:58 -0400

On 15/08/07, Jeroen Dekkers <address@hidden> wrote:
> Read what's in the file directly and compare it to what grub-emu
> reads. If it reads something different than that's a bug in the
> grub-emu or loopback code.

It reads something different... I just wanted to make sure I was using
the right procedure...

> Also don't forget about the possiblity that qemu might be buggy,
> especially if you're using bios functions that aren't really used that
> much. Testing on real hardware is really necessary sometimes.

Yes, I've gotten it to work farther along... It starts querying the
CD-ROM device for information... The problem right now is that the
c/h/s values that bochs/qemu returns when doing a diskinfo int13
extension check are all 0xFFFFFFFF... Same code on VMWare doesn't work
because it seems that VMWare doesn't support that EDD extensions on
their CD-ROM drive :(... I'll try it on my main PC today and let you
know.

> And whether your code is wrong or not is very difficult to tell if you
> don't post your code...

I wanted to see if the procedure is right... :)

Thanks!

--
Alex Roman <address@hidden>