grub-devel

Re: multidistro grub2 idea

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: multidistro grub2 idea
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:55:26 +0200

BVK escribió:
On 7/23/07, adrian15 <address@hidden> wrote:

I think that if grub2 is going to have scripting and so many new
features we should take advantage of them and change the way computers
do boot.

#1) All Linux installers should set or reuse a ext2 partition next to
the windows one as a /boot one where grub2 is installed.

What are your thoughts about this idea?

Can't grub2 merge menu.lst files from all grub2-readable partitions
and generate a menu dynamically? I dont know, but does this require
grub2 to load *all* filesystem modules on boot-up?

That's quite similar to how Super Grub Disk works when you try to boot
an existing linux and it seeks for all the menu.lst.

I am talking about changing the boot world. Having an unique boot
partition might make things much simpler.

Although I also think that if you loose this partition you are in
trouble so there should be a backup of this partiton somewhere on the
root partitions. :)

adrian15