grub-devel

Re: [RFC] color command

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [RFC] color command
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:41:56 +0200

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 12:14:20AM +0300, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One idea was to define themable colors and then use grub_video_map_color
> to map this to hardware (color index or RGB value):
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/VideoSubsystem#head-0df1ed220076ff6cc8188d1a192a21d443cc2456
>
> You could define normal VGA color with like
> GRUB_COLOR_{WHITE|BLACK|LIGHT_GREEN|YELLOW...}. Then setup theme to map
> GRUB_COLOR_CONSOLE_BACKGROUND->GRUB_COLOR_BLACK and
> GRUB_COLOR_CONSOLE_FOREGROUND->GRUB_COLOR_LIGHT_GREEN. Of course we have
> this missing component 'theme support' here ;)

Ok, but you're missing the user interface part.  How would that be glued?

> You can make dynamic variables in GRUB so that when you set it it will
> call function (which could call proper {term|theme}->set color function).

Nifty.  Is that some sort of preprocessor hack?

> I would rather resolve this issue at same time when resolving graphical
> menu issues (meaning within graphical menu subproject) (still looking
> for more members ;)):
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/Subprojects
> http://grub.enbug.org/Subprojects/GraphicalMenu

Uhm that's inconvenient for us [1], because we need basic color functionality
(i.e. similar to GRUB Legacy's) soon, and I can't really volunteer more time to
speed up the graphical menu efforts.

[1] Debian, that is.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.