grub-devel

[RFC] color command

From: Robert Millan
Subject: [RFC] color command
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:53:27 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to discuss the possibility of providing functionality equivalent to
the "color" command in GRUB Legacy.

One of the downsides of how color worked in GRUB Legacy is that internally
colors were handled by GRUB directly as VGA codes.  Since this isn't portable,
I suggest that we avoid it completely instead of just mapping them for
platforms using non-VGA tables (I've seen that ofconsole is using RGB structs).

The solution I propose would be to have a "color" variable (and another one for
highlight color?) with human readable names based on the list in GRUB Legacy,
and let each terminal parse that and pull their colors during initialisation
(this has the downside that one would have to reinitialise terminal after
changing color, but this seems to be akin to the gfxterm / gfxmode situation
and I think is reasonable).

Any comments?  Should I go on implementing that?

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.