grub-devel

Re: OF disk naming scheme (Re: another regression on Efika)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: OF disk naming scheme (Re: another regression on Efika)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:25:05 +0200

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 04:37:41PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

> >> My Efika counts: hd, hd0 ...
> >>
> >> IEEE 1275 does not seem to cover this.  What scheme should we follow when
> >> generating device.map ?
> >
> > Since "hd, hd1, hd2 ..." seems to be much more common, I propose we use that
> > and let user override it via device.map in case of disparity (which may only
> > happen in systems with more than 1 disk).
>
> Can we actually read via /proc or so how this mapping in reality is
> realised?

AFAIK we can only read the full OF path from /proc (with helper tools like
ofpath / ofpathname), but not the short alias which grub uses.  These can only
be obtained when grub is running.

If the proposed solution is not good, maybe we could instead remap all disks
to "standard" grub device names (hd0, hd1..), which grub-mkdevicemap already
knows how to guess reasonably well.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.