grub-devel

Re: GPL version 3

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GPL version 3
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 21:01:28 +0200

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 12:58:42AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> 2. Just have all the patches GPLv2 or later, and it will automatically
>    be GPLv3 or GPLv2, whatever applies.

This defeats the point of making GRUB GPLv3, because other parties can easily
avoid the additional restrictions by taking the GPLv2 version and appliing all
these 2-or-later patches.

I certainly don't want to contribute patches in this way, since I'm completely
against things like DRM or patent deals, and I don't want my code to be used
for these purposes.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.