grub-devel

Re: PowerMac hack breaks Efika

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: PowerMac hack breaks Efika
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:48:49 +0200

* Robert Millan <address@hidden> [070702 10:17]:
> The following lines in grub_ofconsole_init():
>
>   /* The latest PowerMacs don't actually initialize the screen for us, so we
>    * use this trick to re-open the output device.  */
>   grub_ieee1275_interpret ("output-device output", 0);
>
> break Efika (SmartFirmware) and possibly other implementations.  After this
> command is run, all console output is supressed.

> I'm not sure why (found that via regression test), but on Efika the
> output-device is screen (/address@hidden/address@hidden).

Can you examine the output property of the /chosen node and see what its
original vallue is?

> I suppose the right fix would be to check for PowerMacs before running this,
> but I'm not sure how.  Any ideas?

There's some property in the / or /cpu or /openprom noe that can be
used. Don't have a ppc machine from Apple here right now.

Why does Apple Powerbook need this? What's their default output device?

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: address@hidden  • http://www.coresystems.de/