grub-devel

Re: status update for grub 2 developments?

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: status update for grub 2 developments?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:50:56 +0200

Bean <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 02:57:30PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> Something I think is important for GRUB 2 is regression testing.  So
>> we can make sure things like scripting works, filesystems work
>> correctly, etc.
>
> I can't agree more. I think major bug should be fixed as soon as possible,
> otherwise grub2 wouldn't be that useful.
>
>> Well, if people want to work on scripting or networking they should
>> talk to me.  I have lots of code on my hd that is incomplete or just
>> not cleaned up.  It would be a waste of time if it were rewritten.
>> And please poke me a lot to get me to work... ;)
>
> I'm interested in scripting. What could I do to help you ?

For example, you could implement the expr command.  For that you
need to write a simple expression parser.  It should just be like you
use on the console (see "man expr").  You could even use bison, or
write a recursive descent parser.

Another thing you can do is going over my code.  Check if it is sane,
makes sense, etc.  I am the first person to admit that I am no parser
expert.  There was just no one else doing this the way I wanted, so I
just picked up this task.

So you could figure out how things work, figure out if things can be
improved or cleaned up (especially the memory handling and lexer).
This is a hard task because you have to understand the code.  But it
leaves you in a position to fix bugs and improve the design and even
extend it!

Feel free to ask lots of questions.  I rather tell you on beforehand
how things should be done, instead of telling your patches are wrong.
IRC can, for example, be a good way to discuss some things like these.

--
Marco