grub-devel

Re: Command extension suggestions

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Command extension suggestions
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:31:54 +0800

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 12:49:26PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Well, I see the problem but I do not agree with the solution.
>
> The problem for GRUB 2 is that initrd is very linux specific.  It's
> part of a loader.  Perhaps we either have to extend loopback to load a
> file into memory on beforehand.  Or add a memdisk disk or so.
>
> One problem with initrd is that it is very architecture specific.
> Another problem is that the initrd is unloaded when you load another
> kernel or OS.  Besides that, reusing initrd appears hackish to me :-).

I have another idea on this subject. First, We can extend the function of
grub-mkimage so that it can handle data files. The data files embed in
core.img can be accessed using a special device such as (ed). Then, we can
put all necessary files, such as modules, grub.cfg and other data files in
a single core.img. This kernel is self-sustaining, no extra file is needed
for it to function properly.

Even if we don't create mono kernel, embeded data files can be usefully. For
example, moddep.lst, fs.lst and command.lst, these files are best placed in
core.img. Also, we can check the presence of embeded grub.cfg before loading
external one, this is similar to the preset menu concept in GRUB Legacy.

--
Bean <address@hidden>