grub-devel

Re: grub2 miscelanea questions (1/2)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub2 miscelanea questions (1/2)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:29:35 +0200

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:34:55AM +0200, adrian15 wrote:
> 6) Compulsory Argument dilemma
> ================================
> If I run help I can seen things like this:
>
> ls [-f|-l|-s] NAME
>
> and
>
> [ EXPRESSION ]
>

> If [ ] means optional it should also mean optional in the case of the
> test alias [ .!!!

Yes, this is inconsistent, but both bracket sets come from very stablished
usage (the [ command at least is ancient).  Also, this inconsistency is not
specific to GRUB, and cannot be fixed without adding another (IMHO worse)
inconsistency, which is not being analogous to the GNU command-line
environment.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.