grub-devel

Re: Grub Loading Linux? kernel

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Grub Loading Linux? kernel
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 18:58:34 +0200

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:04:43PM +0200, adrian15 wrote:
> When you boot Grub... it prompts something like:
>
> Grub loading kernel
>
> then you see:
>
> Welcome to GRUB.
>
> and then you see the prompt.
>
> Let's see an irc conversation of the future.
>
> noob> Hey My Grub loads the linux kernel but then nothing happens.
> master> noob, if Grub loads the linux kernel then if it does not boot
> it's usually a linux kernel problem not a grub one.
> noob> What should I do then?
> master> Go to #linux channel and ask there please.

I think this is just another variant of the same "Linux" / "kernel" confusion
that makes users think of Linux as the whole OS.

This is confusing and contradictory, and this confusion is exposed in other
areas.  For example, because Linux "is" the whole OS, they can't use "Linux"
to refer to the real Linux (i.e. the kernel), so they call it "Kernel".

That is also contradictory, and the confusion spreads again.  Now if you say
"kernel", it turns out you must be talking about Linux!

I don't think that GRUB nomenclature should be modelled around this scheme
that is based on misconceptions.  Rather, precisely because GRUB exposes
these contradictions, this should encourage other people to realise about
them.

OTOH, if you replace:

  "GRUB loading kernel"

with:

Maybe this archieves to resolve both concerns?

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.