grub-devel

grub2 miscelanea questions #2

From: adrian15
Subject: grub2 miscelanea questions #2
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:35:02 +0200

1) search command file not found:
=====================================
        If you search for an inexistant file like:
        search -f /boot/grub/und-video
        it complains:
        error: no such device

        Shouldn't it be:
        error: no such file /boot/grub/und-video

I mean it has to talk about files not devices and it has also to prompt
the file you have searched for... or maybe not, I do not know.

I ask marco_g if I am going to be able to use this command inside an if
statement.

        if `search -f /boot/grub/grub2.cfg` then

2) chainload a device
========================

It seems that if I run:
        chainloader (hd0)+1
        boot
It boots my hard disk installed bootloader.

However chainloader help only prompts:
        chainloader [-f] FILE
I think the help should be:
        chainloader [-f] FILE|DEVICE

3) DEVICE vs DEVICENAME
========================

If you check the loopback command help you will see that you can use a
DEVICENAME as an argument. Should we choose DEVICE or DEVICENAME when
talking about a DEVICE ?

4) About linux command
========================

I do not like the linux command too much. What happens with bsd and
other kernels that are not multiboot?

why don't we have something as:

kernel --type linux whatever
kernel --type bsd whateverelse

?

Or maybe is better to have a bsd command or bsd will become at last a
multiboot os?

5) windows command
=======================
Can we add a windows command that does:
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
boot

A question for marco_g... which it is the best way so that a command can
call other commands?

Using grub_cmd_name where name is the name of the command or can I write
a grub.cfg file on the fly and then send it to some cfg interpreter
function?

6) boot command boots also boot loaders
If we can use chainloader for preparing to boot another boot loader...
then boot help should read:

Boot an operating system or another boot loader.

instead of:

Boot an operating system.

adrian15