grub-devel

Grub overwrites LVM

From: jean-christophe . haessig
Subject: Grub overwrites LVM
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 00:14:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I used Grub for a long time, but I switched to LVM some months
ago and I realized I couldn't use grub anymore so I switched
back to Lilo.

Since then, I followed Grub development and tried to return to a
Grub-and-full-LVM setup. When installed on a floppy disk, the
latest Grub can boot my machine. However, installing the
bootloader on the first harddisk fries the LVM metadata...

The setup procedure wants to embed the core image (29k, about
60 sectors) right after the first sector, which is inappropriate,
since the LVM labels sit here (Sectors 2, 5 and next contain
the volume ID and the metadata ring buffer). Fortunately thanks
to vgcfgrestore the volumes can be easily recovered.

To be clear : my disks are NOT dos-partitioned.

I don't understand why the core image can't stay on /boot and the
boot image be patched with a blocklist. Can someone help ?

Thanks,
JC