grub-devel

grub2 miscelanea questions (2/2)

From: adrian15
Subject: grub2 miscelanea questions (2/2)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:35:10 +0200

Comes from grub2 miscelanea questions (1/2)

14) help linux
=================
Usage: linux FILE [ARGS...]
Load a linux kernel.

I think that a message telling the user that the ARGS are arguments for
the linux kernel instead of arguments for the grub's linux command would
be a good idea.

15) lsmod
==============

As long as I am unable to run a pager can anyone tell me what the three
columns mean?

cat     1       normal,gzio
gzio    6
boot    1       normal

16) help play
===================

Usage: play FILE
Play a tune

What is the FILE format? Is it an AIFF, an AU, a WAV, or is it an ASCII
file that has tones?

I should not go to the source code for knowing it.

17) play ideas
==================
It seems a rather complicated file... is there any utility for creating
it from grub2 or is it standard file that I do not know of?

Maybe it should have a --loop and -l argument. So that if no key is
pressed the file is played again.

Another --delay -d argument can be useful for determining the delay
period between one reproduction and another.

18) source, . , and configfile
=================================

If both source and '.' commands say that:
Load another config file without changing context.
Then the configfile command should say:
Load another config file (with a new context)
instead of saying:
Load another config file.

19) rescue and exit failure on qemu
==============================
I think that booting from my computer does not give this error.
If I boot from QEMU and type:

grub> rescue
and then :
grub rescue> exit

it says: FATAL: INT18: BOOT FAILURE

20) grub rescue help
========================

help : Types the commands and a minimal explanation: OK
help any_command : Types the commands and a minimal explanation: NOT OK
help not_a_command : Types the commands and a minimal explanation: NOT OK

21) grub rescue exit help
===========================
When you are in grub rescue mode and you type help the exit line it's
the following one:

exit    exit from GRUB

Should it not prompt ?

exit    exit from GRUB rescue

22) copyright message missing
================================
Why isn't there (when Grub is running) any message about the GRUB
Copyright and the GPL license and that you should have received and this
and that?

Is it a memory problem? (In grub legacy there was not any message like
this either)

Maybe we should implement an 'about' command and run it when booting :) ?

23) set read only variables
==============================
unset prefix lets me "delete" the prefix variable.
unset root does not let me the "root" variable.

I remember that bash has an option to set read only variables.
Maybe the root variable is a read only variable?

24) 'Command' commands
Is there any special reason why the
rescue, set, unset, export, insmod, rmmod, lsmod commands are in a
single file called: normal/command.c
instead of being in separate files in commands/ folder ?

adrian15