grub-devel

Re: patch for partmap probing on RAID/LVM

From: Sam Morris
Subject: Re: patch for partmap probing on RAID/LVM
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:00:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:37:02 +1200, Centurion Computer Technology (2005)
Ltd wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 03:49 +0100, Sam Morris wrote:
>> Here's the beginning of a patch for grub-probe itself to make it handle
>> RAID/LVM more intelligently. This will work for the most common
>> use-cases; the comments describe an idea to make the probing process
>> recursive to handle more interesting situations such as LVM-on-RAID.
>
> I assume this isn't complete or working yet.

Well, it works well enough for me at the moment, but it's not complete.
_How_ complete it will get depends on how thoroughly you want grub to
search for possible partition maps, lvm and raid layouts, etc...

> By the way I don't think that LVM on LVM is actually supported by LVM
> itself, and raid on LVM is an unlikely scenario.

Fair enough--LVM on raid is pretty common though, well I have a few
systems that use it at least. Of course, they all have a separate
filesystem for /boot that is on RAID-1, so that grub-legacy can boot
them. :)

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078