grub-devel

Re: installing on x86_64

From: Jerone Young
Subject: Re: installing on x86_64
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 23:21:37 -0500

Ok.. moving over to ubuntu (fiesty) it appears things do work (once
you have all the 32bit shared libs installed). Wow... I was basically
spinning my wheels for a bit there.

I don't appear to have a problem with the binaries though. I will show
what I did:

1) ./configure --program-transform-name="s/grub/grub2/" --prefix=/usr
(this will rename everything grub2 and not conflict with the current
grub install)

2) make && make install

3) grub2-install /dev/sda

I did not reboot. But It ran grub2-install ran fine (and of course all
the programs being tried, which the grub-install script uses) and it
ran and when through the process just fine. I assume based on this the
grub did install just fine (as it would have errored otherwise).

On 5/27/07, Jeroen Dekkers <address@hidden> wrote:
At Sat, 26 May 2007 19:44:09 -0500,
Jerone Young wrote:

> Really..exactly waht distro and gcc version are you using. There is
> still lack for _start with compiling 32-bit binaries using gcc x86-64.
> I'm currently been testing on Fedora Core 7 beta and I see the problem
> consistently (though I do need to update it some). Others have
> reported the problem in the past also. What I do need to know is how
> you are successfully compiling it . Is your gcc version less then 4.x
> ?

I'm using Debian, both gcc 4.1 and 4.2 works. Missing _start means
that your compiler can't generate 32-bit programs. Test this first by
compiling a simple test program (e.g. "int main (){return 0;}") using
-m32. That probably doesn't result in a working executable either.

Jeroen Dekkers