grub-devel

Re: grub-probe without arguments

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: grub-probe without arguments
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 22:19:30 +0200

On Monday 07 May 2007 22:06, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 09:23:08PM +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> > On Monday 07 May 2007 10:21, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > I think it would be reasonable to allow grub-probe to work without
> > > arguments. Any comments?
> >
> > Why do you think so?
>
> Because it's commonly invoked while debugging.  The uninitiated might have
> some trouble figuring out the right parameter (specialy if they're not
> debugging themselves, but providing information for someone else to debug
> e.g. via BTS).

The right parameter depends on system status. For instance, if you are trying
to install GRUB from an installer, and a boot partition is mounted at
somewhere else (e.g. /mnt/boot), it won't work correctly, anyway. I prefer
that grub-probe gets an argument explicitly, so that the user can at least
understand that grub-probe probes a certain directory.

Okuji