grub-devel

Re: pretty colors in gfxterm

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: pretty colors in gfxterm
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 18:36:03 +0200

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Robert,

> Is it possible to archieve a similar effect to what "color cyan/blue
> white/blue"
> does in grub legacy, but with grub2 gfxterm?

You could implement a color command, which does the same as the color
command in GRUB Legacy.  All terminals have support for the color
command.  Although I am not really sure if it is completely compatible
with what you are used to.

Although, it would be better to implement what Okuji proposed a while
ago.  Are you willing to work on this?  It might be fun to do so :-).

> This setup has been the default in debian for a while, and we need to provide
> something similar if we don't want our users to miss the "blue thingy" during
> the big migration we're planning.
>
> Ah yes, I forgot to mention we're planning a big migration :-).  Here are the
> details:
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/GrubTransition

If having a color command means that GRUB 2 will be used more, I am
willing to add such command.  Okuji, do you object?  But I am only
willing to add this if the Debian people ensure me that they will
switch to whatever fancy graphics system we implement in the future,
when it is ready ;-).

--
Marco