grub-devel

Re: GPT on PC/BIOS computers

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GPT on PC/BIOS computers
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 01:05:55 +0200

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:40:17AM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Here's a patch to enable GPT support for PC/BIOS systems.  Need for GPT is
> > increasingly common due availability of > 2 TiB hard drives.
> >
> > Please let me know if everything is correct.
> >
> > Some testing would be welcome, too (but be careful, earlier versions of my
> > patch had a "feature" that fucked up your partition table - hopefuly fixed
> > now, at least Works For Me [tm]).
>
> Have you tested it on MBR?

Good idea.  I have now, and seems to work fine.

> >     * conf/i386-pc.mk: Regenerate.
>
> No need to mention this.

Ok, removed.

> You don't mention in which function you do these things, just the
> files.  Can you correct this?  I personally would prefer if you do not
> split up the changelog entries for one file, perhaps it is not even
> allowed by the GCS.

The later adds a bit of redundancy, but as you prefer.  All these are corrected.

> > -# Typically, _chain and pc are required.
> > -modules="$modules $fs_module _chain pc"
> > +# Typically, _chain, pc and gpt are required.
> > +modules="$modules $fs_module _chain pc gpt"
>
> It would be nice if we were able to use grub-probe to determine
> this...  But for now this is fine, I think.

I've looked into this, but I need some advice.  What's the simplest way to
obtain the corresponding grub_partition_t structure for a partition by knowing
its drive name?

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.