grub-devel

Re: EFI and binary distributors

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: EFI and binary distributors
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 15:42:21 +0200

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:01:26PM +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 22:10, Robert Millan wrote:
> > What is the recommended way for binary distributors of GRUB to support
> > PC/BIOS and EFI at the same time?  Is it possible to build a mixed binary
> > that supports both systems somehow? (and if it isn't, are there plans or
> > ongoing work for that?)
>
> I don't think so. The size restriction is too severe for PC BIOS.
>
> One possibility is to bundle binary images both for PC BIOS and EFI in a
> package, and selectively use one of them by grub-install. But this has a
> serious issue, on a EFI platform which supports Legacy Boot, because the user
> can use both.
>
> Personally, I think it is much cleaner to use just EFI on EFI platforms
> instead of Legacy Boot. But this depends on a preference... For now, I have
> no good idea.

Uhm sounds overcomplicated.  I think we can sort it out with two separate
binary packages for now (e.g. grub-pc and grub-efi).

> > Also, which are the cpu platforms that may use EFI?  From what I could
> > find, it seems that:
> >
> >   - ia32 doesn't have it
>
> You forgot about Intel Mac. :)
> In fact, my Mac Mini is with Intel Core Solo, which definitely does not
> support 64-bit.

What about powerpc?  Has EFI ever been used there?

> >   - ia64 always has it
> >   - amd64 only has it on Intel-Macs, and will have it on more devices in
> >     the future
>
> Do Intel Mac have AMD processors, or do you mean EM64T? If you just mean
> IA-32
> architecture with 64-bit extensions (both Intel's and AMD's), the canonical
> name in GNU is "x86_64".

Yeah, I meant x86_64.  I suppose I'm too much "debian tainted" ;-)

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.