grub-devel

Re: EFI and binary distributors

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: EFI and binary distributors
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 23:03:31 +0200

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> What is the recommended way for binary distributors of GRUB to support
> PC/BIOS and EFI at the same time?  Is it possible to build a mixed binary
> that supports both systems somehow? (and if it isn't, are there plans or
> ongoing work for that?)

Currently there is a i386-efi.rmk.  Perhaps this can be merged somehow
with i386-pc.rmk?  I assume this is what Robert means.  I won't object
to this, although I wonder what Okuji thinks of this.

> Also, which are the cpu platforms that may use EFI?  From what I could find,
> it seems that:
>
>   - ia32 doesn't have it

My MacBook does.

>   - ia64 always has it
>   - amd64 only has it on Intel-Macs, and will have it on more devices in
>     the future

There are some non-apple boards that does.  But usually on servers,
where one normally needs big partitions.

It's safe to assume EFI can be used anywhere or even will eventually
show up on every kind of PC system you can think of.

--
Marco