grub-devel

Re: My Summer of Code Project

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: My Summer of Code Project
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:17:37 +0200

On Monday 23 April 2007 02:01, adrian15 wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > My name is Alex Roman and I have been selected as a Summer of Code
> > student for the GRUB2 project. I will be adding CD-ROM booting
> > functionality to GRUB2.
>
> Welcome! Cdrom booting funcionality for grub2 is a good piece of news.
>
> > The first stage of the project will attempt to use BIOS calls
> > to achieve this functionality (which is, of course, dependent on the
> > BIOS's capabilities, standards compliance, etc.).
>
> Ok. That's how it works in Grub legacy I suppose.

Nope. This is a different thing. This is a new feature which is not present in
GRUB Legacy.

Although people often mistake this, booting a CD from GRUB is quite different
from booting a GRUB installed into a CD. GRUB Legacy has the latter feature,
but not the former one.

GRUB 2 needs to support both cases, but I prefer to see something not present
in GRUB Legacy implemented in GRUB 2 first.

Okuji