grub-devel

Re: My Summer of Code Project

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: My Summer of Code Project
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:38:18 +0200

Stefan Reinauer <address@hidden> writes:

> * Devils-Hawk <address@hidden> [070424 22:06]:
>> You should probably have a look at http://www.linuxbios.org/FILO maybe
>> you can salvage something. FILO supports booting from ElTorito bootable
>> CD media, uses 32-bit mode, and it is free of bios calls. Unfortunately
>> its x86 only, although some work has been done to get it running on PPC.
>
> FILO has been used on PPC for quite some time. For simplicity, that
> version has been integrated into LinuxBIOS directly though.
>
> There is a GSoC project for porting Grub2 to work in LinuxBIOS. It will
> be realized by Patrick Georgi <address@hidden>.
>
> Maybe you guys can join efforts on solving this issue?
>
> I would like to see FILO die. Which will happen once GRUB2 will work on
> an x86 machine without 16bit real mode legacy BIOS.

Hopefully your student will send in patches to grub-devel.  Although I
will not have a lot of time next few months, I will make sure I will
review these patches and answer questions from both students.  Or do
you want to wait with this until the project is finished?  Whatever
you prefer to do, I think it is wise that we cooperate closely to make
sure both SoC projects succeed (as in: code applied to CVS at the
end).

--
Marco