grub-devel

My Summer of Code Project

From: Alex Roman
Subject: My Summer of Code Project
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:17:10 -0400

Hello list,

My name is Alex Roman and I have been selected as a Summer of Code
student for the GRUB2 project. I thought I'd introduce myself and my
project. I am a second year student at the University of Waterloo
(just finished 2A, first term of second year). I have experience
developing in low-level environments in C and assembly.

Now about my project. I will be adding CD-ROM booting functionality to
GRUB2. The first stage of the project will attempt to use BIOS calls
to achieve this functionality (which is, of course, dependent on the
BIOS's capabilities, standards compliance, etc.). The second stage
will involve writing a complete ATA/ATAPI driver which would bypass
the BIOS completely, thus allowing it to work on virtually any system
out there.

Unfortunately I only have access to ATAPI CD-ROM drives, so I won't be
able to work on SCSI and/or USB, however I will try to separate the
system to load the boot image from the driver itself as much as
possible so that future driver developments for SCSI and USB will just
be sort of drop-in replacements.

So, just thought I'd talk a bit about what I'll be doing...

Thank you for your attention and time. I'm sure I'll have lots of
questions in the months to come. :)

--
Alex Roman <address@hidden>