grub-devel

update-grub again (Re: ping (update-grub2))

From: Robert Millan
Subject: update-grub again (Re: ping (update-grub2))
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:57:31 +0200

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 11:20:06PM +0100, Vincent Pelletier wrote:
> > That said, if you don't like the idea then we could proceed adding it in
> > debian, but that might close the door to merging in the future (maintaining
> > the script in debian ourselves implies accepting contributions from many
> > people without any paperwork arrangements).
>
> Personally, the way update-grub works on all my applicable debian installs
> suits me perfectly.

When you just run it and see it works, everything seems wonderful.  But have
a look at the code; everyone has been adding their cruft for ages, and it's
completely unmanageable now.  By taking a modular approach, we can have a
simple core that is easily maintainable, and unload the responsability for
modules to the applications they're associated with.

> But as Declan said, it's bad to overwrite the file...
> I wonder if it could become just a generation of a file which would be
> included (or not) by the "main" config file.
> If that main config file does not exist at all, it could be generated -
> unless
> we consider that a user might want not to have a config file at all.
>
> I don't know if the current scripting allows this, I haven't put an eye on it
> for a looong time.

I'm not particularly interested about that, but it's trivial to implement it
later provided that grub scripting supports it.

> Another idea, which I just had while writing this mail :
>
> What about putting the .d directory in /boot(/grub) and implementing a
> mechanism in grub to be able to handle such configuration directory ?

That's not feasible.  The script modules do complex stuff that couldn't
be done comfortably if we were in kernel-mode C instead of shell scripting
(check out what my scripts do and you'll see what I mean).

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.