grub-devel

Re: I write a patch for Japanese NEC i386 old computers.

From: Ernest Sales
Subject: Re: I write a patch for Japanese NEC i386 old computers.
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:39:36 +0200

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:27:06 +0900 "Hitoshi Ozeki"
<address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. name of architecture.
>
> In Japan, The 'PC-98' means the NEC PC-9800 series and its compatible
machines.
> But, In the other country, 'PC98' means a hardware standard set by
Microsoft and
> a consortium of hardware manufacturers.
> I afraid to mistake, so named as 'NEC98'. But, I do not have a intent to
> persist this name.

I am unaware of the subtleties of architectures, but here is more specific
info of what is called "pc98" by the *BSD people, so you can make up your
mind:

FreeBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/6-STABLE/hardware/pc98/support-sys.html
NetBSD: http://netbsd.org/Ports/
NetBSD: http://www.nisoc.or.jp/~karl/netbsd-pc98/ (in japanese)

Regarding the Linux distros I didn't do my homework yet.

Cheers,
Ernest Sales